Wednesday 7 January 2009

Well, is this one me?

Now I'm a fairly technically minded person. I served my apprenticeship studying aircraft systems, which rely absolutely on the predictable actions of scientific and atmospheric forces.
I earn my living through the practical application of physics, doing electrical and engineering fault diagnosis.

"Good for you!" I hear you shout, "but that doesn't make you an Einstein, does it?" Indeed it doesn't, by a long chalk.

It does though, give me an insight into the complexities involved. Unproven theories will not make it into a production aeroplane design, nor into a life-support machine.

But they do make it into government, E.U. and U.N. policy. I'm talking about global warming, of course, or climate change as we must now call it.

I am sceptical about this, as you may have guessed. Not because I know it is wrong (I don't), but because of the way it has come about, and the way it is presented. Nobody can really know whether it is fact or not, there is insufficient evidence.

It is almost the opposite of what I think of, when I think of science. It has more in common with religeon, really. It relies on blind faith and extrapolations based on scraps of facts, and woe betide any unbeliever!

I shall elaborate in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment